Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Is My Child's Montessori a Real Montessori?

My son starts preschooling next week. I am not much worried about his education as he already
1. Recognizes vowels in Tamil
2. Can count up to ten
3. Can add up numbers using his fingers for counting
4. Knows colours
5. Draws basic shapes
6. Colours inside shapes
7. Knows some rhymes
8. Can tell meaningful stories (can even make up one for you)
9. Asks a lot of questions
etc..
I think the above may be well enough for a child of 3.6 years.

We , my family including my parents, didn't leave some basics such as learning alphabets solely at his teacher's hands. Even if he doesn't even learn a single word from the preschool, it is fine with me as he already knows what a child should know academically. Instead, I expect him to learn morality, how to cope up with others, how to accept both success and failure equally, socializing with others etc at the preschool.

There are a lot of preschools, often called montessories - appropriately or not - in our area, but I was picky in one since I find that the teachers there are kind, somewhat broadminded, and have a sound religious background.

I met brother-in-law uncle today, who is a principal of a secondary school, and his wife runs a nursery for more than six year. He told me that they have purchased a complete study pack spending around 400,000 LKR which guides a child from 3 years to 14. Having not spending that much, I was thinking why they could not get some free materials from the internet and print them out in good quality themselves which would have costed much less than the amount they had spent. Thought of trying it out myself.

Did some searching online and found that keywords homeschooling, preschool, and montessori bring more relevant contents. And, being new to montessori method, just read some article here and there but came across something very important; how to check whether the preschool my son is going to attend provide montessori education or not. The following are the criteria I came across from The American Montessori Society



  • mixed-aged classes, in which older children serve as role models and helpers;
  • a full array of developmentally appropriate Montessori learning materials;
  • teachers with credentials from a Montessori teacher education program;
  • adherence to the Montessori instructional approach, with teachers serving as guides rather than givers of information.


Getting curious on evaluating my son's preschool with the above criteria. Whether they follow montessori or not is not going to change my decision on whether my son will study there or not. But, the online research gave me some inspiration to try some montessori concept on my son.

Need to learn some more and try it out.

No comments: