Thursday, January 24, 2008

What to eat?

He told us not to eat bread. He said bread is from foreign countries and he can't guarantee prices. He also said it is not ours, and we should stick to ours.

"What should we eat, then?" I asked innocently.

"Eat rice and curry, like our forefathers. They were true Lankans" he replied. His friends came with hundreds of reasons for why we should not eat bread.

I started eating rice twice a day. I used to take rice only for the lunch ever since I was born until recently. But, I was proud of this change, because now I am like my forefathers whom according to him were true Lankans.

I believe he must be eating rice even during coffee breaks. Man, He's a true Lankan or what.

Yesterday I went to buy rice and felt a thunderbolt inside my head when the shop owner said rice is 100/= per kg.

I don't have enough money to buy that, and the bread too has become much expensive.

Let me think.... mmm.. Since none in the known have died out of starvation, it is implied that they had been taking something cheaper than the rice I eat. 

Next time, I should ask him what kind of rice the forefathers ate, and still if it is not affordable should ask him what our "forefathers of the forefathers" ate. I hope, at least that is cheaper.

I am hungry now, can you suggest me something for today's lunch?

1 comment:

Roshan Rauff said...

There is some thing called pajiri, which is a cereal given to birds which also can be consumed by human. but don't say to others, other wise it's price also will be risen and wont be able to buy who eats them secretly till now.